“Many of us think of our lives as boringly normal, while others live the high life. Take a step back, and take a look at your life as an outsider might. Now, tell us at least six unique, exciting, or just plain odd things about yourself.”
Oh how I wish my life could be perceived as “normal!” It is anything but! However, as they say – one person’s “normal” is another person’s “dysfunction.” So, who am I to judge someone else’s normalcy?
So – some odd – interesting – or perhaps just meh – facts about little ol’ me.
1. I still dream of either a) singing on Broadway or b) singing torch songs in some lounge. In fact, the ONE time I went to New York (at the ripe old age of 34), I took my tap shoes with me. I stood on 42nd Street, put them on and did a few time steps, just so I could say I “danced on Broadway.” Corny, but so very true. My then husband just looked on slightly bemused. New Yorkers just walked on by – completely unphased.
2. I detest snakes so much, that even seeing a picture of one will make my skin crawl and I feel the need to pick my feet up from off the ground. Just writing about it has caused my toes to curl.
3. I love, love, love the beach, but…I WILL NOT swim where I can’t touch the bottom. My parents taught me a very healthy fear – um, caution – about the creatures that live in the sea. You never know what is underneath you!
4. While I want to sing on Broadway or torch songs in some lounge, I suffer from rather debilitating stage fright. I have to take a Xanax (or a half of one) before I sing.
5. I still have my childhood teddy bear (Brownie) in a place where I can see her everyday – on a shelf, in my closet, where my children can not get to her. She is threadbare and has holes in her, but she is one of the most beautiful things in my world.
6. I can turn on just the last 8 minutes of An Affair to Remember – having missed the whole rest of the movie – and start crying the moment when he goes to her apartment, finds his painting and deduces she is the woman in the wheelchair who bought it. “Oh, it’s nobody’s fault but my own! I was looking up… it was the nearest thing to heaven! You were there…” Excuse me while I break down crying now.
And beyond the six…
Not that those who know me well can tell, but I am painfully shy. The classic extroverted-introvert. Sometimes that causes people to think I am bitchy.
Sexy, high-heeled shoes. ‘Nuff said…
I am crazy about muscle cars. My dream car is a fire-engine red 1966 Mustang.
I can sing Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus from memory – and have been able to for 32 years. Thank you, Miss Carpenter.
Whenever I go home to South Florida, in order for my trip to feel complete, I must do the following three things – see a lizard, dip my toes in the Atlantic Ocean, and have at least one Slurpee from 7-11. Not necessarily in that order.
I like sushi, love roller-coasters and adore Disney World.
There are so many more. I am quite an odd person. But then again, who isn’t? And if there is someone – how very boring!